Its no secret that I love Tiffany & Co. And some of you may be surprised that I chose I different route when it came to my engagement ring. My dad, Mike is a machinist by trade and as a kid he made my sister and I numberous little jewelry trinkets out of metal scraps from work. When I got to thinking about Benny's ring I thought, why not have my dad make it?
I asked my dad if that was something he would want to do and of course he was excited to do it. That got me to thinking why then could I not have him make my rings as well. So that is where it all began. I started searching for styles and brainstorming ideas for my own rings. It just so happened a special family member on Benny's side of the family gave him a diamond to use for my ring if we so chose to.
The best part about this all is that the ring essentially designed itself. I am a simple, clean lined, no frills (lucky for Benny)kinda gal when it comes to jewelry. Although I am simple I never quite cared for just a plain skinny band with a simple round solitare diamond. I always envisioned a princess cut/square diamond with a bit more substance to the band. It just so happened the shape of the diamond he was given was square and that my dad could machine any style of band that my heart desired.
I knew I didn't want prongs, since I am notorious for catching them on things and losing stones and I don't care for gold. Well, that worked out perfectly. Dad scuplted me a band out of titanium he used an extrememly fine sand to sandblast a matte finish onto the outside then polished just a fine band around each side to create the texture contrast.
After consulting with the jeweler about setting the stone I knew that flush mounting the diamond wasn't going to be an option, however he ordered a bezel to set the stone into and welded a tiny thin bead around the top to hold the stone in place. My dad then drilled and filed a square hole into the band so the bottom of the bezel would sit flush with the inside of the ring. The jeweler then welded the bezel into place on the band and a uniquely artistic and definitley unbride ring was born!
The best part is the unexpected reactions people have when they see it. I can tell people are thrown when they see it and I love that. I know it may not even be what many would consider ideal or beautiful for an engagment ring and that is what I love 2nd best about it. Because what I love most about it is that I designed it, my dad made it and the diamond came from Benny's family. It just doesn't get more special than that.
4 comments:
The ring turned out fabulous!!!! Your dad did an awesome job!!! :-)
OMGosh KARI! AMAZING ring! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!! Janna Kirk
Thanks Jana... and Candie too! I love it!
That is one of the most gorgeous rings I have ever seen. You are an extremely creative and talented family!! Love You! Sam
Post a Comment